International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS)
ISSS represents the needs and interests of the University of Miami international community and provides support services and programs for international students, scholars, and academic departments at UM. Every year, approximately 3,748 international students (undergraduate and graduate) and scholars (professors and researchers) from 120 countries representing every region of the world study, teach, and conduct research at the University of Miami.
International students and scholars face some unique challenges as well as opportunities while pursuing their academic goals at UM. The professional and dedicated ISSS staff provides expert advice, services, programs, and information aimed at supporting their educational endeavors and enriching their U.S. experience over the entire course of their stay. ISSS support services and programs encompass:
- Pre-Arrival Information
- Immigration Advising for Students and Scholars in F-1 and J-1 Status
- Employment Information and Authorization
- Online Tax Return Preparation System
- Liaison with Sponsoring Embassies, Government and Agencies
- Short-Term, Small Emergency Loans
- Assistance with Personal and Adjustment Problems
- Assistance in Coping with Crises
- International Student Orientation
- International Scholar Orientation
- Advise the Council of International Students and Organizations (COISO)
On the ISSS website you will find detailed information regarding each of these services and programs. Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have any questions or require additional information. We look forward to assisting you.