Housing and Residential Life
The University of Miami offers undergraduate on-campus housing in five residential colleges and University Village.
Each residential college has residential faculty members, an Area Director/Assistant Area Director, and student staff who all live in the residential college with the resident students to support and promote student well-being, safety, academic achievement, student learning, and development. Numerous social, educational, cultural, and recreational programs are offered throughout the academic year.
- The University has both single and double rooms. Singles are limited and assigned based on seniority living on campus and, thus, entering students are typically assigned to double occupancy rooms.
- All non-local freshmen students are required to live in University housing for two academic semesters, as long as space is available. This policy does not apply to freshmen students living with parents or legal guardians in Miami-Dade or Broward Counties. Non-local freshman must complete the Live-On Requirement exemption Request Form in order to be exempt from this requirement.
- University Village, an apartment-style residential community, is an available option to juniors and seniors, who have completed 60 or more credit hours. The apartments are fully furnished and include in-apartment washers and dryers, full-size kitchen appliances (stove, refrigerator, microwave, & dishwasher), and reserved parking (extra fee).
- All housing facilities are co-educational with men and women living on alternate floors or alternating separate suites or apartments. Gender inclusive housing is available upon request.
Applying for On-Campus Housing
- Admitted undergraduate students, following verification of acceptance to the University and payment of the enrollment deposit, can apply for housing via CaneLink.
- Students are encouraged to apply for housing as soon as possible after paying the enrollment deposit. New freshmen housing applications should be submitted by May 1; applications received from new freshmen after May 1 will be accommodated on a space available basis.
- The $500 pre-payment is paid by credit card at the time of application.
- Assignments to buildings, rooms, and specific roommates are made according to the date of application, receipt of the housing prepayment, and overall availablity.
- Whenever possible, requests for roommates are honored. However, if specific preferences are not available, the University reserves the right to assign students to other roommates.
The housing agreement is for the entire academic year (both fall and spring semesters), unless the applicant is:
- applying only for spring semester housing
- applying only for one of the offered summer housing sessions
- graduating in December (must notify HRL directly)
- participating in a University of Miami study abroad experience spring semester (must notify HRL directly)
- not enrolling in the University spring semester (must notify HRL directly)
Housing cancellations received through May 31 will result in a $500 cancellation penalty. Cancellations received after May 31 will result in:
- the canceling student being responsible for the fall semester housing charges, unless or until the vacancy created by the cancellation can be filled by another qualifying University student applying for housing
- if filled, the canceling student will only be assessed the $500 cancellation penalty
Housing cancellations for the spring semester received through December 1 will result in a $500 cancellation penalty. Cancellations for the spring semester received after December 1 will result in:
- the canceling student being responsible for the spring semester housing charges, unless or until the vacancy created by the cancellation can be filled by another qualifying University student applying for housing
- if filled, the canceling student will only be assessed the $500 cancellation penalty for early termination
Note: Written notice of cancellations must be made to the Department of Housing and Residential Life office directly.
Dates of Housing Availability
|Fall Semester||August 14, 2018 - December 13, 2018|
|Spring Semester||January 9, 2019 - May 10, 2019|
Off-Campus Housing Resources
The Department of Housing and Residential Life also provides assistance to students, staff, and faculty with identifying off-campus housing options, including a web-based search engine of community listings.