Eligibility for Admission 

In addition to holding the baccalaureate degree from an institution accredited by SACSCOC or another regional accrediting body (or equivalent credential for international applicants), the applicant for admission to the Graduate School should have the prerequisite coursework required by the program to which they are applying. In general, those applying for graduate admission should have achieved an overall average grade of “B” or better (3.0 G.P.A. on a 4.0 scale). International students will be required to give evidence of adequate knowledge of English through an English proficiency test score. University of Miami faculty members above the rank of instructor are not eligible to apply for the doctorate at the University of Miami. (Note:  Faculty from the School of Nursing and Health Sciences and from the Physical Therapy program are permitted to pursue doctoral degrees in their home program/school.)

For specific admission requirements see also statements of the various programs.

Admission of a student to the University of Miami for any semester does not imply that such student will be re-enrolled in any succeeding academic semesters.

All those wishing to take courses for graduate credit hour, whether or not they wish to become candidates for a degree, must make application for admission directly to the program of interest prior to registration.

Requirements for Admission Application

  1. The completed application form
  2. Official transcripts of all college work, both undergraduate and graduate. Domestic or international applicants that have academic credits from or attended an international institution must have their educational credentials earned outside the United States verified by an approved international credentialing evaluation service.  Each of the university's 11 schools and colleges has specific procedures that must be followed by international applicants. Visit our International Applications page for more information.
  3. International applicants whose native language is not English must take and submit official score reports from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) in addition to any other required entrance examinations (e.g. GRE/GMAT). The TOEFL and IELTS scores are valid for 2 years after the test date.
  4. Letters of recommendation
  5. Other requirements, such as standardized entrance exams (e.g. GRE or GMAT)*, may be required/requested by individual programs. Contact the specific program to which you are applying for their requirements,

* Please note that if a standardized entrance exam score is required, the scores submitted must be recent (within five years). GRE and GMAT scores are only valid for 5 years after the test date.

Materials submitted in support of an application cannot be released for other purposes nor returned to the applicant.

Categories of Admission

1. Regular admission with or without specified deficiencies. Under circumstances in which it is difficult to evaluate the academic background of intellectually qualified applicants, they may be admitted with specified deficiencies based on evaluative criteria established and maintained by the school or college. Such status is often appropriate for international students or students with extensive professional experience relevant to the desired discipline. The Graduate School allows only one semester in deficiency status. Graduate Council notification is required for programs requesting deficiency status beyond one semester. For all regular admissions with deficiencies, students must receive a list of documented requirements to remove the deficiency and specific milestones. Students who fail to qualify at the end of that time will be requested to withdraw from the Graduate School.

2. Post-Baccalaureate. This category provides an opportunity for graduate study for

a. qualified applicants who, for good reason, do not wish to work toward an advanced degree. This would be appropriate for those students who have special objectives for professional study or scholarly work;

b. students enrolled in a graduate program elsewhere but desiring to earn graduate credit hour at the University of Miami for the purpose of transferring it to the other institution;

c. students already holding the master’s degree or doctorate but who desire additional coursework in their field.

Transient students described in (b) above should have sent to the Graduate School a letter from the Dean of the School or College of the student’s program from which they expect to earn a degree, stating that they are in good standing there and have permission to transfer credit hour. If possible, this letter should indicate specific courses to be taken. The students described in (c) above should have a transcript showing their most recent graduate work and graduate degree [to be sent directly by the issuing institution to the Graduate School].

Those admitted to a post-baccalaureate status should realize that their future admission to regular status is improbable unless they achieve the qualifications originally appropriate to admission to those categories. This is to say that the mere accumulation of graduate course credit hours is not sufficient to permit entrance into another graduate category. No more than a total of 12 credit hours may be taken while in post-baccalaureate status.

3. Certification/Professional Goals. This category provides an opportunity for graduate study for qualified teachers or professionals who do not wish to work toward an advanced degree but, who for professional reasons, need to continue to take graduate courses and have already taken 12 credit hours in Post-Baccalaureate Status. No credit taken in this status can be applied toward a graduate degree at the University. A letter explaining the need for the course work by the student’s employer must accompany the application.

Every applicant for admission can be assured that all credentials will be carefully studied in an effort to select appropriately qualified students. Each application for admission is examined by the members of the faculty responsible for the graduate program. The program informs each applicant of the results.

It is expected that most applicants for admission will be candidates for an advanced degree. Except under unusual circumstances those who already hold an advanced degree are not admitted to candidacy for the same degree. Graduate programs vary as to whether students who do not hold the master’s degree are required to initiate graduate studies at that level.

Applicants should note the following:

  1. All correspondence, applications, and documents should be sent directly to the academic department;
  2. No action is taken until a file is complete and all documents are available;
  3. Application files should be complete at least one month before registration, much earlier for some applications, as specified elsewhere in this Bulletin;
  4. Admission to graduate status does not imply admission to candidacy for a degree;
  5. Some programs close admissions early because of limited capacity; and
  6. Materials submitted in support of an application are not released for other purposes and cannot be returned to the applicant.

International Students Admissions

All international students who have been admitted to a program of full-time study at the University of Miami need to enter the U.S. on a student visa. To apply for an F-1 visa, you must provide the U.S. Embassy or Consulate with a Form I-20 or DS-2019, passport, statement of funds, and other documents as required by the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Please visit the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) website for further information regarding visas, travel, pre-arrival information, etc. The Form I-20 or DS-2019 can only be issued after you have been admitted and have submitted proof of adequate financial support for your studies and living expenses. For questions regarding issuance of the Form I-20 or DS-2019, please contact your individual department. 


Students who have not been continuously enrolled must request readmission and adhere to the readmission deadlines outlined in the Academic Calendar. Students returning from a Leave of Absence must request readmission. Contact the appropriate program office well in advance of registration. If additional college work has been completed elsewhere since the last enrollment at the University of Miami, an official transcript of this will be required. Recency of credit hour rules will apply. The application for readmission to the Graduate School may be found on the Graduate School website. If you are an applicant for readmission and also an international student, please contact International Student and Scholar Services  at isss@miami.edu and 305-284-2928.

Dual Degree and Accelerated Degree Programs

The University offers unique combined degree programs that culminate with students receiving both the undergraduate and graduate degrees concurrently or an accelerated program of study in which they receive an undergraduate degree and then a graduate degree the following year. 

These programs are intended for exceptional students to acquire both undergraduate and graduate degrees, in five years rather than the 4 plus 2 years (approximately) that is traditionally expected.

Please note:  Many financial aid programs, including those offered by the University and the federal and state governments are restricted to coursework required to complete an undergraduate degree.


Students must have undergraduate student status and a cumulative G.P.A. of at least 3.0 at the time of application. Students should discuss the program and possibility of entering the program with an academic advisor. The program may require application at the time of matriculation to the undergraduate degree or prior to the beginning of final exams in the junior year.

Once admitted into a dual degree or accelerated program:

In their senior year, students may take a maximum of 12 graduate credit hours, with a maximum of 6 credit hours per semester. While in senior status, to register, students must complete and submit the Application for Undergraduates to Take a Graduate Course form which is available on the Graduate School website. This form must accompany the Add/Drop and/or Course Request form to ensure that students are registered with the correct registration status. Add/Drop and/or Course Request forms without this approval form will not be processed. Undergraduate students must register for courses with graduate status in 'Canes Central. This process cannot be facilitated via online registration. 

Financial Implications

Many financial aid programs, including those offered by the University and the federal and state governments are restricted to coursework required to complete an undergraduate degree.

Students are eligible for undergraduate aid only as long as they are undergraduates. Students enrolled in combined or accelerated degree programs are permitted undergraduate federal and University aid for a maximum of four academic years or to the point at which the number of graduate credit hours in a term exceeds the number of undergraduate credit hours, whichever comes first. During that time frame the student's undergraduate enrollment status will be determined using only undergraduate level courses in which the student enrolls. Graduate level courses in which the student enrolls during such semesters will not be used to determine the student's undergraduate enrollment status. Once a student is registered at the graduate level for financial assistance their status is considered graduate for all subsequent semesters.

Once registered as a graduate student, a student cannot revert to undergraduate status.

For further information, contact the Office of Financial Assistance at ofas@miami.edu, call 305-284-6000, or visit the office in the Whitten University Center. 

Graduation Clearance Requirements

For dual degree programs, the student must apply for undergraduate and graduate graduation at the same time. Degrees from dual degree programs are conferred at the same time.

For accelerated degree programs, the student must apply for undergraduate graduation in one semester, and for graduate graduation in a subsequent semester.

The student must meet the requirements of the Graduate School specified in the Bulletin for the awarding of the graduate degree. 

Students enrolled in a dual degree or accelerated program can take a maximum of 6 graduate credit hours per semester in their senior year for a maximum of 12 graduate credit hours without incurring additional costs if they are full-time undergraduate students during this period.

Students should register for courses towards their graduate degree as "G" credit hours and not as "U" credit hours. These registrations must be completed prior to taking courses. Retroactive add/drops will not be processed.

Summary of Guidelines for Dual Degree and Accelerated Programs

  • Take at least 12 undergraduate credit hours per semester. This qualifies you for the opportunity to take up to 6 graduate credit hours per semester at no additional cost.
  • Graduate credit hours can be taken only in the senior year in a dual degree or accelerated program (based on the number of credit hours earned towards the undergraduate degree).
  • The maximum number of graduate credit hours allowed per semester is 6.
  • The maximum number of graduate credit hours the undergraduate student can take at no additional cost is 12.
  • The Application for Undergraduates to take a Graduate Course form should be completed and all signatures must be obtained before registering for graduate credit hours.
  • The student can change their status to "graduate", or their status might be determined to be "graduate" for financial aid purposes during or at the completion of the senior year. This will make the student eligible for graduate financial aid (for US citizens or permanent residents).
  • The student cannot be a full-time undergraduate (taking 12 or more undergraduate credit hours) and a full-time graduate (taking 9 or more graduate credit hours) student at the same time.
  • Once a student's status changes to graduate (or after they have taken a full load of graduate credit hours) their status cannot revert to undergraduate status.
  • In a dual degree or accelerated program, an undergraduate student cannot take graduate credit hours in any other year except in the senior year.
  • The student should avoid taking any undergraduate credit hours after the student's status has changed to graduate.

For University of Miami Undergraduates

University of Miami undergraduates within 30 credit hours of meeting the requirements for the Baccalaureate Degree may be allowed to take up to twelve (12) graduate-level credits (no more than 6 credit hours may be taken in one semester) in non-degree graduate status while completing the requirements for the baccalaureate.

The Graduate School’s Application for Undergraduates to Take a Graduate Course form is available on the Graduate School website.

  1. Must have a minimum of 3.00 G.P.A.
  2. The submission of an Application for Undergraduates to Take a Graduate Course form (available on the Graduate School website) which will not require the application fee;
  3. The written approval of the Chairperson of the Department, the Dean of the Undergraduate School or College, and the Graduate School Representative prior to registration.

Approval to take graduate-level courses does not automatically admit the student, upon graduation, to status as an applicant for a graduate degree at the University of Miami.

The graduate credit hours earned may NOT be used to meet undergraduate graduation requirements or be used to meet the 120 credit hour requirements at the University of Miami.

No more than 6 credit hours may be taken in one semester, and no more than a total of 12 credit hours may be taken while in graduate status. Students may take no more than 15 credit hours of combined undergraduate and graduate courses per semester.1


If the total combined undergraduate plus graduate credits exceeds 15 credits, the Graduate School will require the undergraduate advisor and undergraduate dean to provide approval.  Please note that the application form requires the student and a financial aid representative to sign and date the form acknowledging that the student understands the financial implications of this registration.