Academic Bankruptcy 

Students entering college sometimes perform at an unacceptable academic level. They either drop out or are dismissed. Some individuals with this experience re-evaluate their educational goals and desire to return to college. Their academic record, however, may present an insurmountable obstacle. Undergraduate students in this category who want the opportunity for a fresh start at the University without this handicap may apply for admission or readmission with the request that their prior academic record be disregarded.

In order to be considered for academic bankruptcy, a student’s combined college grade point average must be below 2.00 as calculated by the Office of Admission.

Application for Initial Admission to the University with Academic Bankruptcy

The applicant must apply to the Office of Admission and:

  1. Must have been admissible to the University as a senior in high school,
  2. Must have attended an accredited institution for at least one year and must not have attended any college or university for the preceding six months, and,
  3. Must not be admissible to the University based on his or her college-level work.

Application for Readmission to the University with Academic Bankruptcy

A University of Miami student who has dropped out or who has been dismissed may request Academic Bankruptcy on meeting these conditions:

  1. The student must apply to the Office of the University Registrar.
  2. At least six months must have elapsed since the end of the semester in which the student was last in attendance at the University of Miami.
  3. Detailed written evidence must be provided with the readmission application, showing that the conditions or factors that caused the poor performance have changed sufficiently, so that there is a reasonable expectation of future satisfactory performance.

Conditions of Approval

  1. If Academic Bankruptcy is approved, no course credit hours earned previously will be displayed on the transcript for credit hours attempted, credit hours earned, or quality points earned; however, all grades1 earned previously will remain on the transcript.
  2. Readmission applicants with approval from the dean of the accepting school, may have Academic Bankruptcy apply only to those credit hours taken by the student when last in attendance at the University of Miami, so that credit hours earned at another institution subsequent to the date the student last attended the University are not affected.

     All grades, good or bad, are invalidated during this process and will not be reinstated at any future time.

Academic Bankruptcy will be granted only once for any student.

Certification of Enrollment

Students who require certification of enrollment for insurance or education loan purposes may obtain an enrollment letter via their CaneLink1 account or by submitting a request to Canes Central. Enrollment verification via CaneLink is available after the last day to drop without a "W".  Please refer to the University's academic calendar for specific dates.

Enrollment Verification letters will include only information maintained in the university's official academic record system.   The University will not alter, amend or add anything to the standard letter.  Notarization is available upon request.

Students will be certified as currently enrolled once they have met their financial obligations.  If a student is delinquent in paying his/her tuition and fees statement balance and/or Monthly Payment Plan, the University will not process transcript and/or diploma requests. Course selection/modification will not be permitted for any previous, current or future semesters. The student is not considered enrolled during the term in question, which means that certification of enrollment cannot be provided for insurance, student loan deferment or repayment purposes.  Non-payment also means the student is ineligible for financial assistance awarded for the term in question.  A late payment fee may be assessed on delinquent accounts.

Students who require enrollment certification for scholarship purposes only, will be conditionally certified until financial obligations are met.


For students who do not have a Social Security number, verification letters are generated by the Office of the University Registrar. Letters are typically generated in seven (7) business days but may take longer during our registration period and the first two weeks of classes. 

Classification of Students

Students are classified in three ways:

  1. By course load (full- or part-time)
  2. By objective (degree sought, non-degree, transient, audit, etc.)
  3. By year

Course Load

A student is a full-time student if he/she carries not less than the minimum normal load, 12 credit hours per semester in most schools, nine credit hours in the Graduate School (please refer to the Graduate section for exceptions). The minimum credit hour loads in a summer session will vary for each category, according to the length of the sessions. (A typical full-time class schedule for fall and spring semesters not requiring override approval from an advisor consists of 15 credit hours. In some cases, students are recommended to enroll in fewer than 15 credit hours.) Please refer to the university’s full-time/half-time policy. For spring semester, Intersession courses can be included when evaluating full-time status. It is important to note that tuition charges for Intersession courses typically are separate from and in addition to charges for the spring semester.  Full-time status may vary from one college or school to another. Students should consult with the dean of his/her college or school for details.


A degree student is one whose immediate educational objective consists wholly or principally of work normally credited to a University of Miami bachelor’s or higher degree. To qualify for this status, a student must meet the standards for admission. 

A non-degree student is one who is not pursuing a degree program. Such students are those who, although eligible for degree candidacy, have requested permission to take a limited or special selection of credit hour courses without regard to requirements for a degree. This classification includes high school graduates and students with previous college credit hour

  1. who do not want degree status;
  2. whose applications for degree status are incomplete;
  3. who are taking work toward teacher certification;
  4. who are workshop applicants;
  5. who are visiting summer school students. (Students under 21 years of age who have not completed high school will not be admitted to this status.) Non-degree students are sub-classified as transient, special, etc.

An undergraduate non-degree student may petition the Director of Admissions to have his/her status changed to that of degree student. Up to 30 credit hours earned in non-degree status may be applied towards a degree, but only to the extent approved by the appropriate academic dean.  It is therefore important that the degree student identify himself/herself as such, early in his/her program.

Transient Student

A transient student is one who is enrolled at the University of Miami with the sole intention of using credit hours earned toward graduation elsewhere. 

Audit Student

An audit student is one who enrolls as an observer or listener only. Auditing is allowed only when there is space available in the class. Audit status may be restricted by the Dean in the case of laboratory, studio or performance courses where audit status is not appropriate. Audit students receive no credit hour, do not prepare written assignments or take examinations, are not eligible for residence in campus residence halls, and do not receive student privileges except for the use of the library. No entries are made on the permanent academic record for audited courses. 

Students wishing to change from audit status to credit hour status must obtain all necessary approvals within two weeks following the last day of registration for Fall and Spring semesters and no later than the fifth class day following the last day of registration for Summer Sessions.  No changes except withdrawals from the course are permitted after this time.

Note: Fee for auditing a course is non-refundable.  Please refer to financial information section of the bulletin.


  • A freshman is a degree-seeking student who has earned 0 to 29 credit hours.
  • A sophomore is a degree-seeking student who has earned 30 to 59 credit hours.
  • A junior is a degree-seeking student who has earned 60 to 89 credit hours.
  • A senior is a degree-seeking student who has earned 90 credit hours or more.

Undergraduates Taking Graduate Coursework

University of Miami undergraduates within 30 credit hours of meeting the requirements for the Baccalaureate Degree may be allowed to take up to twelve (12) graduate-level credits (no more than 6 credit hours may be taken in one semester) in non-degree graduate status while completing the requirements for the baccalaureate.

The Graduate School’s Application for Undergraduates to Take a Graduate Course form is available on the Graduate School website.

  1. Must have a minimum of 3.00 G.P.A.
  2. The submission of an Application for Undergraduates to Take a Graduate Course form (available on the Graduate School website) which will not require the application fee;
  3. The written approval of the Chairman of the Department, the Dean of the Undergraduate School or College, and the Graduate School Representative prior to registration.

Approval to take graduate-level courses does not automatically admit the student, upon graduation, to status as an applicant for a graduate degree at the University of Miami.

The graduate credit hours earned may NOT be used to meet undergraduate graduation requirements or be used to meet the 120 credit hour requirements at the University of Miami.

No more than 6 credit hours may be taken in one semester, and no more than a total of 12 credit hours may be taken while in graduate status. Students may take no more than 15 credit hours of combined undergraduate and graduate courses per semester.1


 If the total combined undergraduate plus graduate credits exceeds 15 credits, the Graduate School will require the undergraduate advisor and undergraduate dean to provide approval.  Please note that the application form requires the student and a financial aid representative to sign and date the form acknowledging that the student understands the financial implications of this registration.

Eligibility for University Extracurricular Activities

Full participation in University-sanctioned extracurricular activities and organizations is open to all full-time students who are not on academic probation and who have been assessed the Student Activity Fee. Extracurricular activities include, but are not limited to the following: academic, athletic, dramatic, or musical organizations or teams; student organizations registered with the Committee on Student Organizations (COSO); fraternities and sororities; student publications; program boards; and University committees.

Students on probation may participate in any activity required as partial fulfillment of their degree program; may attend meetings of organizations; and may play intramural sports. They may not otherwise compete, perform, or hold a leadership position. At the beginning of each fall semester, the activity’s faculty or staff advisor or appropriate committee chairperson shall determine with the Office of the Provost the eligibility of each participating student. Some activities apply stricter standards, and may monitor academic progress and review eligibility during the academic year. Students should consult with the individual activity for specific requirements.


Those who were previously enrolled as degree-seeking undergraduate students at the University of Miami and wish to resume their undergraduate studies must follow the readmission policy as outlined below.  

readmission chart

Undergraduate students who have not attended the University for at least one semester should request readmission through Canes Central no later than two weeks before the beginning of classes, in the semester they wish to re-enroll. Readmission to the University is contingent upon approval of the Dean of the school/college the student is applying to and clearance from the Office of Student Account Services.

International students who seek readmission must receive clearance from International Admission and submit a bank letter to receive an I-20 from International Student and Scholar Services.

Specific details on the readmission process can be found here

Students who have attended another college or university since they were last enrolled at the University of Miami, will be required to provide a transcript of their work. Failure to disclose all prior institutions attended may result in disciplinary action.

An undergraduate  student who has applied to graduate for a given semester will not be eligible to register for any subsequent semester until the student applies for readmission or admission to a new program. A candidate for graduation may wish to continue his/her studies in one of the following situations:

  1. If the student fails to graduate and further registration is needed, they must delete their application for graduation in CaneLink and within twenty-four hours, registration for subsequent semesters or sessions should be available. Students should contact Canes Central for assistance.
  2. If the student graduates and wishes to pursue a second bachelor’s degree, the student must apply for readmission, stating his/her new degree objective.
  3. If the student graduates and wishes to take additional course work without a degree objective, the student must apply for unclassified status.

Proof of immunization must be provided to the Student Health Service before readmission to the University of Miami. Failure to do so may prevent you from registering for classes.

Inactive Status

Inactive status is available to continuing, undergraduate, degree-seeking students who intend, and qualify, to re-enroll at the University of Miami after leaving the university for a designated period of time.  This status is used when students will not be taking classes at another institution. Students interested in this option may obtain further information here or by visiting Canes Central.

Non-UM Programs

Students who study through a non-UM program, domestic or study abroad, and would like to have those credit hours applied toward their UM degree, should apply for Non-UM Program status.  Complete information on the Non-UM program can be found here.  While utilizing the Non-UM program students are not considered enrolled at UM. Tuition, fees, housing and any other expenses are charged and paid through the other institution.  Enrollment reporting for loan deferment or other needs must be done through the other institution while enrolled there.  Non-UM is designed to hold a place for students to return and to have the credits pre-approved to transfer back to UM. 

Non-UM is only available in the Fall and Spring semesters.

As of July 1, 2021, the fee will be $1000 per semester.

Student Identification Numbers

All students at the University of Miami will receive an identification number that is unique to them. This number supplements the social security number, which is also required by the university in order to provide information to the federal government and approved agencies. Access to social security numbers is limited to staff who have a legitimate need for that information.

Transfers Between Schools and Colleges

Undergraduate students who have compiled fewer than sixty (60) credit hours may transfer between schools and colleges provided that such students:

  1. Demonstrate their academic admissibility to the new program (as defined by class rank and SAT scores) at the time of their original matriculation at the University;
  2. Satisfy any special criteria required for admission by a particular program (e.g., auditions in the arts, portfolios in architecture, etc.); and
  3. Obtain the approval of the Dean of the receiving school or college.

It is a general policy of the University that students admitted to degree seeking status may not transfer to an unclassified status.

Students who have compiled 60 or more credit hours with an average of 2.0 or higher and who have satisfied all of the above three conditions may be eligible to transfer between schools and colleges pending space availability and additional program requirements.