The University Cashier's Office processes payment in the form of cash, personal checks, certified/bank checks, money orders, 529 checks, outside scholarship checks, and loan checks.
Online payments via CaneLink include e-checks, wire transfers, and credit cards.
Checks and Money Orders
Payments must be in U.S. Dollars and drawn on a U.S. bank. Payments must be made payable to the University of Miami and include the student’s identification number to ensure credit to the student’s account. Post-dated checks are not accepted. Checks and money orders can be presented in person at the Cashier's Office or mailed.
- There is a 5-day check clearing hold on check payments made to your student account to allow bank settlement confirmation and successful receipt of your check payment to the University.
- Note: Students with a finacial hold (unpaid term balance) related to an outstanding balance due to the University, the hold, blocking all enrollment activity, will remain on the account until the 5-day period expires.
Unsuccessful Check Payment
Student with two or more unsuccessful paper check/electronic check payments will be prevented from using paper check/electronic check payment as a future payment.
- Student will be charged a $25 unsuccessful check payment fee.
As part of our commitment to provide the University community with better and more efficient services, the following payment options are available via CaneLink.
The online payment portal enables you to:
- Make online payments with eChecks, Credit Cards, Wires, and International Payments.
- There is a 5-day online echeck clearing hold for online echeck payments (including monthly payment plan installments) made to your student account to allow bank settlement confirmation and successful receipt of your online echeck payment to the University.
- Note: Students with a finacial hold (unpaid term balance) related to an outstanding balance due to the University, the past due hold, blocking all enrollment activity, will remain on the account until the 5-day period expires.
- Enroll in the Monthly Payment Plans.
- View, print, and save your Account Activity reports.
- Save your Payment Methods for future use.
- View all account changes and communication history.
The University of Miami has partnered with CIBC to provide our international students an easy portal to make payments directly to University of Miami in your preferred currency.
- Make your payment directly to University of Miami using your preferred payment method-
Bank wires, Direct Debit (EFT), E-wallets (AliPay and WeChat)
- Pay in your home/preferred currency with access to live, competitive Foreign Exchange rates offered exclusively by CIBC to University of Miami students
- Bank wire quotes are valid for 72 hours (excluding weekends and Canadian holidays) to avoid currency price fluctuations
- Track your payments on our portal, and receive status updates and reminders to facilitate timely payments to University of Miami
- The transactions are processed within a secure banking environment
Wire payments should be limited to educational expenses billed to the student's account. Funds intended to cover personal and living expenses not billed to the student's account must be sent directly to the student, not to the University of Miami. Wire transfer overpayments received by the University will be returned to the originating bank account and not refunded to the student.
Download the online payment information guide(s) for step-by-step instructions here.
The Office of Student Accounts offers an optional financial alternative to assist students and parents: The Monthly Payment Plan (MPP) allows you to divide your educational expenses into convenient monthly payments per semester.
Enrollment in the plan does represent a contractual agreement with the University. Proxies will be able to establish a monthly payment plan on behalf of the student if they are a fully authorized designated proxy on CaneLink.
For a step-by-step guide on enrolling in the MPP, please click here.
Monthly Payment Plan Guidelines:
- The first payment of each semester is deducted on the billing due date
- Monthly Auto payment is deducted each month on the same day
- Monthly Auto Payment Reminder – 5 days prior
- ACH Insufficient Funds Return - $25 Servicer Fee (non-refundable)
- Missed Installment – Next Installment Doubled
- ACH Return Reattempts – 1
- No Reattempts for declined credit card payments
- The 2.3 % credit card service fee is non-refundable
- Number of Missed Installments before termination – 2
- There is a 3% non-refundable Participation Fee to enroll in the payment plan
The balance due will reflect on the student’s account until the payment plan has been paid in full.
If additional charges are incurred, they may be added to the payment plan, future installments will increase accordingly, and the 3% non-refundable Participation Fee will be assessed. Added charges will be updated prior to the second installment payment.
If a credit is applied to the student’s account, the amount due will be reflected accordingly after the Add/Drop period for each semester. The credit will be included after the first installment is due.
*Executive/Professional MBA students and UM employees are ineligible to participate in the Monthly Payment Plan.
Third Party Payments
- Sponsored Students
- Florida Prepaid College Program
- Tuition Remission
- Veteran's Affairs Benefits Information
Students may request billing to a Third Party Sponsor for mandatory tuition and fees. A “Third Party Sponsor” refers to any organization that formalizes a contract with the University and provides a financial guarantee letter assuming financial responsibility for the sponsored student(s) tuition and fees, in full or portion thereof. If a direct invoice is not required your organization does not need to be set up for third party billing. In order to initiate the billing process, the Third Party Sponsor must establish an association between sponsor and student by contacting the University Of Miami Third Party Student Accounts.
Any authorization document from the sponsor (i.e. financial letter, student roster, letter agreement, contract or certification) must be emailed to email@example.com listing the following information:
- Sponsored students’ legal name and corresponding university identification number(s)
- Eligible charges to be covered (ex: tuition, mandatory fees)
- Duration of time that fees will be covered
For organizations that provide sponsorship per term, the authorization document must be submitted at least 60 days prior to the term payment deadline. For organizations that provide authorization documents by academic year, the document must be submitted 60 days prior to the payment deadline of the first term of the student’s enrollment. If the sponsor wishes to withdraw sponsorship of the student(s), notice must be sent to University of Miami.
Sponsored students are credited with a “transfer to third party” deferment before payment is received. This deferment does not mean the University has received payment from the Third Party Sponsor; rather, it serves as a deferment of the balance owed. The sponsor is invoiced for the balance during the billing period which occurs after the add/drop dates each semester. This provides sponsored students the opportunity to finalize their coursework before invoices are submitted to their sponsors, which are sent to the sponsor’s preferred method of delivery.
- Payments are due no later than the end of the term*
- Payment methods include paper checks and wire payments. Sponsors must provide the sponsored student(s) name and ID with each payment submitted.
- *If sponsor does not pay by the deadline, deferments will not be processed for future terms until payment is received.
Delinquency & Collections
In any sponsor-student billing arrangement, the student is ultimately held responsible for payment of campus charges. If payment is not received by the term deadline, the student is liable for all fees allotted to the sponsor. If neither student nor the sponsor remits payment, the student’s account will be subject to registration and transcript holds and ultimately collections activity.
Florida Prepaid College Program
If you would like to add or change your Florida Prepaid billing with the University of Miami, please follow the steps below:
- Authorize the University of Miami to bill your Florida Prepaid account by completing the Florida Prepaid College Program Transfer Form. The form must be submitted directly to Florid Prepaid College Program.
- Complete and submit the University of Miami’s ‘Authorization Form’
- To confirm that your current Florida Prepaid benefits are being applied to your student account, go to the ‘Account Activity’ page under Payments/Account Summary on your Student Center in CaneLink.
Florida Prepaid College Program:
800-552-4723 Option #2
P.O. Box 6567
Tallahassee, Florida 32314-6567
If you are a University of Miami employee or employee dependent registered for classes and your tuition remission has not posted to your student account, please contact Benefits Administration at 305-284-3004 to request assistance.
For further information regarding Tuition Remission eligibility visit the Benefits Administration website.