Undergraduate students of the department having a GPA of 3.0 or better are encouraged to apply to the 5-year BS/MS program during their junior year. Applicants are required to submit official transcripts, official GRE scores, and three letters of recommendation. Admission criteria are described under Colleges of Engineering – Graduate Admission Requirements.
Requirements for graduation are:
- Minimum of 30 graduate-level credits with a GPA of at least 3.0, and no grade lower than C
Of the 30 graduate-level credits:
- At least 24 credits of lecture-based courses
- At least 15 credits in CAE
- At least 12 credits of courses at the 700 level
- At least 6 credits of lecture-based CAE courses at the 700 level (not Independent Study / Special Problems)
- Up to 6 credits can be Independent Study (Special Problems and/or Master's Design Project)
Thesis research (CAE 810) will not count towards the degree. CAE 665 - 669 and CAE 765 - 769 shall not count towards the degree.
Transfer of credits from other institutions
- A total of 6 credits of transfer and/or exchange coursework not counted towards the student’s BS may be taken at another institution and used to satisfy requirements for the M.S. The number of eligible credits for transfer is 9, when pre-approved coursework is taken as part of a semester abroad experience.
The program of study is tailored to the student’s background and goals by their advisor, and must be approved as constituting an MS in Civil or Architectural Engineering by the student’s Program of Study Committee. The committee comprises a minimum of 3 members, as follows:
- The CAE Committee Chair (Advisor) shall be a full-time faculty member from the CAE Department, one member must be from outside the Department and hold a Ph.D., and one member other than the CAE Committee Chair (Advisor) must be either a full-time or part-time member of the Department; and
- In addition to the Committee Chair, at least one of the members must be tenured/tenure-earning, or a member of the Graduate Faculty.