The Ombudspersons and University Troubleshooters provide open channels of communication between students and the University by listening to student concerns, investigating the facts, and attempting to resolve situations in the best possible way. Ultimately, the goal is to find a resolution in adherence with policy and support for the student. The Ombudspersons and University Troubleshooters do not bypass or circumvent those individuals who have responsibility for departments or classroom instruction. Nor will they eliminate certain structured grievance and appellate mechanisms already established by the University.   


An Ombudsperson interprets University policy for students and makes recommendations to central administration when policy changes are needed. The University of Miami has two Ombudspersons for students. The Academic Ombudsperson works most closely with issues concerning faculty, coursework, grade appeals, etc. The Administrative Ombudsperson works most closely with administrative issues such as financial registration, access concerns, and University policies and procedures. Ombudspersons connect students to faculty and administrators who will listen, answer questions, interpret policies and procedures, and provide guidance on the appropriate steps to consider for a resolution. The Ombudspersons seek to resolve matters informally before they become matters in a formal grievance-appeal proceeding. They work with students to identify next steps where appropriate or provide guidance on how a process was followed. In situations where a formal grievance appeal is most appropriate, they can provide guidance on the process.

All students have the right to file a complaint with the Florida Department of Education, more information may be found here

University Troubleshooters

University Troubleshooters are faculty members and administrators who serve as a resource for students seeking assistance. They represent a wide range of campus departments or areas. If a student has spoken to the appropriate University Troubleshooter and they have not brought resolution to a student’s concern, students should contact the Ombudsperson. For a listing of University Troubleshooters, click on the following links: Academic Troubleshooters or Administrative Troubleshooters.

For more information, visit, call 305-284-4922, or visit Ashe Building 244.