Joint J.D./M.A. in Communication Studies
This joint degree program allows students to earn a J.D. and an M.A. in Communication Studies in 3 to 3½ years. Student complete a total of 109 credit hours for the joint degree. This program will allow 9 J.D. credit hours to be applied to the M.A. degree and 6 M.A. credit hours to be applied to the J.D. degree, saving the student 15 credit hours between the two programs.
The MA in Communication Studies has four tracks:
- Communication Studies
- Health Communication
- Intercultural Communication
- Organizational Communication
Requirements for admission to the graduate studies for the Juris Doctor/Master of Arts in Communication joint degree are:
- Students must be admitted to the Law School first, prior to enrollment in the School of Communication, checking a box on their application indicating their interest in the joint degree program. Once accepted to the Law School, the student's law school application including LSAT score, undergraduate transcript, and letters of recommendation (two of them required for the J.D. program) will be sent to the School of Communication for review. The student will then receive notification from the School of Communication regarding his/her admission to the joint degree program.
- LSAT score may be submitted in lieu of the GRE score.
- Students will be admitted to the Law School J.D. program and the School of Communication (SoC) master's program separately.
- Students in this joint degree program must commence law study first.
- Students who have already commenced work on the SoC M.A. are not eligible for the joint program.
JD/MA in Communication Studies - Non-Thesis Tracks Only
|LAW ELECTIVES IN FULFILLMENT OF BOTH DEGREES||9|
|Select from the following or others with approval:|
|Constitutional Law II|
|Intellectual Property Problem Solving|
|MA IN COMMUNICATION STUDIES REQUIREMENTS|
|COM 603||Qualitative Research Methodologies||3|
|Communication Track Electives||18|
|Elective options based on track selected. See MA program curriculum for more information.|
|COMMUNICATION COURSES IN FULFILLMENT OF BOTH DEGREES|
|COM 601||Theories of Communication||3|
|COM 602||Foundations of Quantitative Communication Research Methods||3|
|Total Credit Hours||109|