Consideration is given to applicants who have a B.S. degree in physics (or related field) with a minimum undergraduate GPA of B. Submission of Graduate Record Examination (general and subject GRE) scores is recommended, but not required, with the application for admission. Applicants from non-English-speaking countries must demonstrate proficiency in English via the TOEFL or IELTS test, even if they have previously taken courses in the US. The minimum TOEFL score for admission is 80 in the internet-based test, or equivalent (550 in the paper-based test and 213 in the computer-based one). The minimum IELTS score is 6.5.
Application deadline for the Fall Semester is February 1st. The only accepted form of application is online through the Graduate School web page. In addition to excellence in the academic background, consideration for admission is also based on diversity and interest in one of the research fields of the Department.
In addition to the general requirements for graduate degrees, the Physics Department makes the following specific requirements.
- A minimum of 30 physics course credit hours at the 600-700 level are required for the Master Degree.
- The following specific courses, or their equivalent, are required for the M.S. degree:
Course List Code Title Credit Hours PHY 640 Classical Mechanics II 3 PHY 660 Quantum Mechanics and Modern Physics I 3 PHY 661 Quantum Mechanics and Modern Physics II 3 PHY 723 Statistical Mechanics I 3 PHY 752 Electromagnetic Theory I 3 PHY 753 Electromagnetic Theory II 3 PHY 770 Quantum Theory I 3 PHY 771 Quantum Theory II 3 Select six additional physics course credits at the 600 or 700 level 6 Total Credit Hours 30
- For the M.S. degree no more than 3 credit hours for reading courses may be counted, and no more than 2 credit hours of seminars. Up to 6 credit hours may be earned in thesis work for this degree.
- The physics department offers a comprehensive graduate examination each year. All students are required to take the exam when it is offered.
- Courses taken outside the department should be relevant to the students’ program and approved by the graduate advisor.